Sunday 29 May 2011

Little Paxton - 29 May

On a Tuesday morning walk around the RSPB centre at Sandy I was told that Little Paxton was a top place to hear and maybe se some nightingales. I decided it was high time I visited the place. It's a nature reserve jsut north of St Neots and just off the A1. A 30 minute drive from home.

The Ouse and some lakes formed, I assume, from flooded gravel pits provides the backdrop. And there are marked walks including hides to view the lakes. I visited in the afternoon so didn't expect to see any nightingales, I wasn't wrong in that respect. The lakes contained many tufted ducks and mute swans, robins, and chaffinches were abundant in the trees and bushes. Swifts and swallows swooped overhead. I really liked the place. The river is an added bonus.

The first picture is I think a hybrid goose. Possibly greylag and canada.


Many grey herons enjoy the lake.



All these pictures are at a distance of over 100 meters. The cormerant is probably 150m from my camera.



Cormerants can also enjoy a tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment